Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Piano (1993) - Film Review



An Australian drama written, produced and directed by Jane Campion, The Piano is about a mute pianist Ada(Holly Hunter) and her daughter(Anna Paquin) who are sent to New Zealand where the mom is forced into an arranged marriage with a frontiersman, Alistair(Sam Neil).

While there is much to praise about this film, there is also not to like about it as well. The plot, though mildly engaging was a bit bland in my opinion, although the film has a lot going for it to make up for its loss. The superb acting performances across the board, from Holly Hunter's portrayal as the mute pianist, Sam Neil as the stern frontiersman, to young Anna Paquin who also serves as the narrator, the actors of this film is what made it enjoyable. I especially enjoyed Paquin's performance, as it was nice to see her do something else other than play the annoying slut Sookie Stackhouse on True Blood. I was never a fan of Anna Paquin to begin with, but this film actually made me see her as a decent actress.

In addition, the cinematography was absolutely stunning, as was the gorgeous soundtrack. Literally every time the background piano accompaniment began, I sat in the movie screening with a wide smile on my face. The music was not only fitting, but so beautifully orchestrated and in tune with the film itself.

So while the story itself was a bit subpar to me, I still enjoyed The Piano to a certain extent, with the cinematography and acting making up for most of where the story lacks in substance.

No comments:

Post a Comment