Thursday, May 19, 2011

2011-2012 Television Pilots - Personal Thoughts

Television Upfronts Week is finally over, with THE CW's presentation rounding it off today. After viewing all of the new pilots' footage from each network's website, below is a rundown of the shows that I am looking forward to, and a few that I was excited for but now no longer care for after seeing the previews.

Shows I Will Watch:



Smash - NBC
Steven Spielberg serves as the executive producer for this musical drama about the making of a Broadway show. The comparisons to Glee will be endless but this looks ten times better. It will feature original music from Broadway musical Hairspray's songwriting duo Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman. The show also features an all-star Broadway cast, from Christian Boyle, Debra Messing and Katharine McPhee. This may be the show that I am most excited about next season.




The Playboy Club - NBC
This 1960's Chicago-set drama series gives viewers a sexy look at the acclaimed Playboy Club. The cast includes Amber Heard, Jenna Dewan and Eddie Cibrian. I like the whole dark, mysterious, film noir tone the show is presenting and all the scandal and secrets is just what I like in my television shows.




Pan Am - ABC
Starring Christina Ricci and from the creative team that brought you The West Wing comes a 1960's high-flying period drama about the stewardesses and pilots of the Pan Am airlines. Once again, the Mad Men feel this show brings to the table has me on board immediately.




Good Christian Belles - ABC
Kristin Chenoweth headlines this new Desperate Housewives-esque new series set in Dallas. I am not sure I like the new television friendly title ABC had to opt to use but this show looks funny and promising, and I am a huge fan of Kristin Chenoweth.




Ringer - The CW
Sarah Michelle Gellar returns to television in this thrilling new drama series that was originally intended for CBS but ended up being put on its sister network instead. Gellar stars as two identical twin sisters who both inhabit dark pasts, and when one of the sisters die, the other one takes on both of their lives. The premise sounds interesting and I am looking forward to seeing Sarah Michelle Gellar back on television once again.




Hart of Dixie - The CW
Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage, the creative team behind The O.C. and Gossip Girl teams up again with a new medical drama series set in Alabama. The series reunites Schwartz and Rachel Bilson once again as Bilson stars in the show as Dr. Zoe Hart. I like the cast, which features Scott Porter from Friday Night Lights and Rachel Bilson who I adored from The O.C., so I will be giving this show a chance. I am not entirely convinced that the ditzy Bilson can pull off playing a doctor let alone pronounce difficult medical terminology, but we shall see how this show plays out come Fall.


Shows I WAS Going to Watch:



The Secret Circle - The CW
Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec, the power duo behind the highly-addictive Vampire Diaries series team up to create this new series about witches based on the novels by L.J. Smith, who just so happened to have written the Vampire Diaries novels as well. It stars Life Unexpected's Britt Robertson and Gale Harold, but I am not quite sold on the whole witch concept. I am not a fan of Bonnie on Vampire Diaries and feel that this show may be a little too similar to its counterpart. The only redeeming factor I see going for it is its creative team behind the show. Williamson and Plec have delivered many jaw-dropping twist and turns in Vampire Diaries that keeps me at the edge of my seat each week, and this show has the potential to do that as well. That being said, I am still uncertain about it.




Once Upon A Time - ABC
Ginnifer Goodwin stars in this fairy tale adventure about a young woman who returns to the small town of Storybrooke only to discover that she is actually from an alternate world, a world where fairy tale characters live in which she is the daughter of Snow White and her Prince Charming. The premise of the series sounded very interesting and the script was also equally enjoyable to read, and I was really looking forward to this show given that it is from the creators of Lost. But after seeing this trailer, it looks more like a cheap ABC Family or Disney Channel movie, probably due to low production costs. I can see why a series like this requires a larger budget, with all the mythical elements and costumes, and unfortunately the footage just does not deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment