Saturday, May 14, 2011

Catch Me If You Can the Musical (2011) - Theatre Review



March Shaiman and Scott Wittman, the creative team behind Hairspray is back on Broadway with a new high-flying new musical, Catch Me If You Can. With choreography by Jerry Mitchell and starring Norbert Leo Butz and Aaron Tveit, the new show is based on the movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio of the same name.

I have been eagerly awaiting the day I could see this musical since I heard about it, and I finally got the opportunity to on Thursday, May 12. I am a huge fan of Aaron Tveit, and have had Catch Me's score on repeat since January. After seeing the show I am pleased to say that I was not disappointed whatsoever. In fact, I LOVED it.

The score was perfect. The tunes were catchy, and I absolutely loved all the solo numbers, from Kerry Butler's "Fly Fly Away" and Tveit's "Goodbye". Further, the dancing and its choreography was stellar. From the larger-than-life opening number "Live in Living Color" to iconic kick-line tune "The Jet Set" and the Norbert Leo Butz led "Don't Break the Rules", I was absolutely in awe of how energetic the entire ensemble was. Tveit was a true shining star in the role of Frank Abagnale Jr., and Norbert Leo Butz' performance as FBI Ageny Carl Hanratty was perfection. In addition, Kerry Butler as Brenda Strong, Frank's love interest and Tom Wopat as Frank Abagnale Sr. were also very memorable.

I honestly cannot go on about how much I loved this entire show. Having the orchestra on stage as a set and turning the film's plot into a 60's television special was brilliant, and gave the life of Frank Abagnale a reason to sing about. I had a fun time seeing this show, and also had the opportunity to meet Aaron and Norbert after the show. I look forward to seeing Aaron Tveit continue to grow and whatever he does next, I absolutely cannot wait to see him in it. He is a true star on the rise and I am so glad that I got to see him in this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment