Sunday, July 3, 2011

Billy Elliot the Musical (2011) - Theatre Review



The touring production of 10 time Tony Awards winning Broadway musical Billy Elliot has made a stop in the Bay Area in San Francisco for a limited engagement. I had the pleasure to see the show here, with Ethan Fuller playing the role of Billy the night I saw the production.

I had heard about Billy Elliot and seen the "Angry Dance" Tony performance, but did not really know what the plot of the show was until I saw the show last night. The musical completely blew me away, not only with the phenomenal dance numbers put on by the young children in the cast, but also by the heartfelt story.

The song "The Letter" literally brought tears to my eyes, and "Solidarity" left me giving the entire cast a standing ovation. The young children in the production were all amazingly talented dancers, all on point, crisp and sharp in their coordinated routines and choreography. The set design served its purpose, and the stunning aerial dance sequence performed by Billy to the soundtrack of Swan Lake was absolutely beautiful.

I cannot rave enough about how much I loved this show, and I plan to see it once more during its time here in San Francisco. Billy Elliot has easily become one of my top favorite Broadway shows to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment