Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009) - Film Review



Tonight, I watched The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. The film, starring Heath Ledger in his last acting role actually required a recast of his character for specific scenes due to his untimely death. In his place, Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell play alternate versions of Ledger's character in the Doctor's imaginations.

The film itself was very interesting and I thought was very visually stunning. I really liked all the CGI done for the imagination scenes, and what really shocked me was the acting. Johnny Depp, Jude Law, Colin Farrell all have comparable acting to Heath Ledger. To be honest, if they all wore a mask over their face, I would not have known that Ledger was recast for some of the scenes in the film.

I thought that the film was intriguing and definitely very beautiful in terms of the visuals. And lastly, it was fun to watch Andrew Garfield in a slightly more comedic role. I am a huge fan of his work and really enjoyed him as Eduardo Saverin in The Social Network and Tommy in Never Let Me Go, a book by Kazuo Ishiguro which I highly recommend by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment