Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Oscars 2011: Afterthoughts

Hosted by James Franco and Anne Hathaway, the 83rd Annual Academy Awards were held on February 27, 2011. A night that celebrated the year's best in the Film Industry, movies such as "The King's Speech" "The Social Network" "Toy Story 3" "Inception" "True Grit" "The Fighter" and "Black Swan" were nominated.

Though for the most part I thought that those who received their respectable awards deserved it, there were a few categories in which the end result I disagreed with:



In the Best Supporting Actress Category, Melissa Leo won for her work in The Fighter. Also nominated in that category was True Grit's Hailee Steinfeld who in my opinion should have won in the category. Only 14-years-old, Hailee is the true breakout star of this year, starring as Mattie Ross, a girl who hires a deputy to help track down and kill her father's murderer. Steinfeld's stellar acting and front and center role in the film made her a shining star in my opinion, and her humble and mature way of presenting herself in interviews and red carpet appearances makes her all the more appealing to me. Frankly, I may have a small crush on this cute girl.



In the Best Director category, the award went to Tom Hooper for his direction in The King's Speech. While I enjoyed the movie and especially adored Colin Firth's acting, I thought that David Fincher should have won for his directing in The Social Network. The Social Network was hands down, my favorite film of the year and I thought that Fincher really stepped up his game for this film than in his previous works.



Inception won for Best Cinematography, a category that I highly disagreed with. Frankly, I thought that the cinematography in True Grit and Black Swan were much more inspiring and memorable.

That being said, I was very happy to see Natalie Portman win for Best Actress and Colin Firth for Best Actor. Toy Story 3 also took home Best Animated Film and Best Original Song which made me really happy.

Having the opportunity to watch eight of the ten nominated Best Picture Films, I thoroughly enjoyed them all and it was wonderful to see all the cast and crew members of each movie get recognized this awards season for their hard work and efforts. I am looking forward to what Hollywood will bring this coming year and also to the Oscars next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment