Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Midnight Cowboy (1969) - Film Review


Based on the 1965 novel of the same name, Midnight Cowboy is the only X-rated Film to ever receive and win a Best Picture award at the Oscars. It stars Dustin Hoffman as a crippled street urchin who strikes an unlikely friendship with Joe Buck (portrayed by Jon Voight) who quits his job in Texas and moves to New York City to become a hustler. Though the film's extreme sexual content made it X-rated, the film was later reissued as an R-rated film in 1971.

Ratings aside, I thought that the film was overall rather intriguing. Yes, the excessive amount of sexual content did bother me, but John Schlesinger did create a film that was both entertaining and heart-breaking altogether. While the main character Joe Buck wasn't exactly someone that I felt I could root for, I really admired and felt an attachment to Dustin Hoffman's character Ratso. Without giving away too much, the ending montage of the film was very well-shot and really tied together some of the themes of the movie in my opinion.

I thought that Dustin Hoffman gave an outstanding performance in his role, and according to Wikipedia he did in fact get a nomination in the Best Actor category for it. All in all, the film was entertaining and enjoyable to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment